Sunday, June 17, 2012

Success...deserves some Mac & Cheese


Well, two days ago, I was lamenting the fact that once I get something in my mind, I just feel like I have to do it.  Today, I am glad that I stuck with it.  For those of you who know me, I have just never really been that big of a runner, just for the sake of running.  I would rather run to make it around the bases in a softball game, or run across the court to steal a pass or make a layup, or run to continue the volley on a tennis court, but just to run to run, never really been my thing.  However for some reason, over the past 1 1/2 to 2 years I have started running 5K's, I prefer sprinting to long distance running- so why do I do it?  Who knows, probably mostly just to compete with myself, it is much easier to go out for a run by myself, then to find someone to play tennis with at a time when we are both available and even harder to find enough people to play softball or basketball, besides my friends aren't really in to that, so I run or bike or swim.  I prefer the biking and swimming, but running I can compete in, well not really - I am not the fastest distance runner by any means, but I finish and I try to improve against myself, and so I compete with myself.

This year, for some reason I got it in my head I was going to run a 10K, but when I crashed my bike and ended up with a cast my training went to almost non existent, not quite, but almost.  But wouldn't you know it, I signed up anyways and two days before the race, I started to get cold feet, my shins were bothering me and I was starting to wish I hadn't signed, but there was a part of me that would have signed up again, that part that makes it so hard to change what I have set my mind on....and today when I crossed the finish line at 1 hour and 22 minutes, I was glad for that part of me - didn't quite run the whole thing....but I finished my first 10K.  Don't worry I still made it to church, and when I got home I made a simple white sauce and added some cheese, cooked up some whole wheat penne, and enjoyed some mac and cheese - truthfully it could have used a little more cheese, but with some of Penzy's Arizona Dreaming mix it was really good.

Cooking up a white sauce and adding some cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment