Thursday, November 29, 2012

A Different Take on a Thanksgiving Mainstay

What happens when you combine...

Some Cranberries...



Some Sugar...
A Stick of Cinnamon and a Vanilla Bean?




You Get Sugared Cranberries

I first had these when I went to a delegate meeting the week of Thanksgiving.  I didn't try them at first because I thought they looked like frozen grapes - but strange grapes.  Then a lady walked up and said, "Oh these cranberries are delicious" and I said, "What?", and she said, "Sugared cranberries."  So I tried them and was very impressed.  Never thought I would enjoy a fresh cranberry.  So when I got home I looked up a few recipes, found one I liked, and what do you know - I impressed my friends.

Sugared Cranberries

2 cups sugar
2 cups water
1 bag of fresh cranberries
1 stick of cinnamon
1 vanilla bean
sugar for coating

Make sugar syrup with sugar and water, add cinnamon stick and vanilla bean as sugar is getting close to completely dissolving.  Once sugar completely dissolved remove from heat and stir in cranberries.  Weight down with plate to keep cranberries submerged and refrigerate overnight.  

In the morning drain cranberries (can keep sugar syrup to put in tea to sweeten)  and take small batches and toss in sugar to coat.  Allow to sit out and dry for a couple of hours.   Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment