Saturday, February 23, 2013

A Heartbroken Delight

This morning I mixed up a pan of cherry delight, but in my mind I was mixing up a batch of old fashioned sour cream cut out cookies for a room full of junior youth to decorate for Christmas.  I had gotten mini M&M’s, pull apart licorice, and mini buckeyes to decorate them with and when they were baked and frosted I enjoyed watching their creativity in decorating them.  I remember thinking that evening, just 2 1/2 months ago that Marica had a very creative side to her, this was her first year in junior youth and I was so looking forward to getting to know her better.  However, today is different, I am not mixing up cookies for the junior youth, I am mixing up cherry delight for funeral dinner.  Some things are just to hard to understand, but then maybe they are meant to be understood.  

Usually I look forward to the weekend, but not so much this weekend, part of me dreads it, I am glad I was able to be a part of a life so sweet and that am able to celebrate it and mourn its loss with others, but when the weekend is over, it’s so finite, there will be no denying it, and I have to move forward and over time memories seem to fade and I don’t want to forget this sweet young girl that was just beginning to grow up and I was look so forward to getting to know and watch blossom into a wonderful young lady.  Some memories seem to stick with you though, I know that from when I was young and lost a friend from my high school youth group, I still remember bus rides from when he was statistician for our girl’s basketball team and it is funning I can still remember sitting and chatting with him at a picnic table once at a school function for our younger siblings and when he stood up his light colored jeans were covered with red paint dust that had rubbed off.  It is strange the things that stick with you.  I don't know if I will every forget asking her sister if she was there last Sunday so I could give her her junior youth schedule and figuring I would make sure she got it later when I found out she was home sick, not knowing as no one knew that in 48 hours she would be resting in Jesus arms.  I pray that these memories of Marica stick with me, decorating cookies, laughing on my living room floor as we played Dixit, and inquisitively concentrating as we sat in the church hallway playing “Crossed or Uncrossed” earlier this fall.  I remember laughing so hard as the youth tried to figure out what was crossed and uncrossed as they unknowingly repositioned making it more confusing and difficult for them to figure out.  I also pray that as we mourn Marica together it will draw us closer and perhaps in the future as I make cherry delight, I will remember this weekend and Marica’s life.


Marica and some of the other junior youth decorating cookies .

A tea party I had a number of years ago for a number of the girls from church
as well as a few other friends.

Marica and her sister Jocelyn, with a friend from church and my neighbor girl
all decked out for the tea party.

Cherry Delight
1/3 cup butter, melted
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 tbsp sugar
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar
1 envelope Dream Whip mix
1/2 cup milk
1 -21 oz can cherry pie filling or 2 1/2 cups of your own filling

Combine 2 tbsp sugar, cracker crumbs, and melted butter together and press in bottom of 9x13 pan.  Cream the cream cheese and 1/2 cup sugar together until smooth.
Whip envelope of Dream Whip with milk.  Then blend together with cream cheese mixture.  Spread over crumbs and chill until set.  Top with cherry pie filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment