Thursday, April 6, 2017

E is for Easy Slow Cooker Cookbook

A few days ago, I stumbled across the Danish word hygge (hoo-ga) and The Book of Hygge: The Danish Art of Contentment, Comfort, and Connection by Louisa Thomsen Brits, and I've been quietly working my way through its beginnings.  The word represents that feeling of settled contentment one experiences on a perfect Saturday morning at home or when out spending time with friends at a local coffeehouse.  I find I love not just the sound of the word and the feel of it on the tongue as you say hygge, hygge, but I also love finding a word for that wonderful sense of place and space  and being present in moments of simple abundance and pleasure.

So it seemed appropriate this rainy, stormy evening to make a Beef and Noodle Supper in the slow cooker, first making up a bit of pasta and browned beef before tossing everything in the slow cooker and letting my apartment fill with its warm, filling aroma of heartiness and comfort.

Boiling in the crockpot:


Served over mashed potatoes:


4 comments:

  1. Your cooking musing make me feel warm & cozy! We just had an art exhibit named Hygge in our area. Comfort during a long Northern Michigan winter. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a huge slow cooker fan -- have never been without one since my mom gave me my first one years ago. This comfort recipe sounds fabulous, and your post brings me right into your cozy kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do enjoy slow cookers and even have Pinterest boards just for dessert, chicken and meats in a slow cooker. Not all at the same time of course.

    @msdeniseh553
    Denise at My Life in Retirement Flanders Fields

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my slow cooker but don't use it enough. I mainly use it in the winter for soups and stews, but didn't even use it enough this winter. I also love hygge and recently reviewed another Hygge book on my blog.

    ReplyDelete