Wednesday, April 12, 2017

J is for....Joy of Cream Cheese Substitutes

Okay, I confess, that title was really bad. Alas, none of my cookbooks start with J!

So instead I decided to make two versions of cream cheese substitute for those who can eat dairy but can't eat all the assorted additives.

The first is easiest for everyday use. Say on bagels!  or in the dressing of cold sandwich salad. Simply take your favorite yogurt, drop it in a coffee filter/, and let it drain overnight in the fridge.  I use a 6 % plain yogurt from Snowville Creamery.

Take two is a new try from a cookbook of my sister's The Home Creamery.  It suggests making your own buttermilk (2 c milk, 2T vinegar, let sit 15 minutes) and  then heating/wait 2 hours/draining that for a Buttermilk Cheese that can be substituted in cooking for cream cheese. Say making a cheesecake.

One thing that surprised me in the making of this one, was that it formed a sort of melted cheese mass at the bottom of my pot when I was heating this. Not sure if it was supposed to do this....

And now in the morning, I can see that it has a more grainy ricotta look to it. May have not gotten some part of following  this recipe quite right. Oh well, still tasty results!

yogurt "cream cheese"                    buttermilk "cream cheese"

1 comment:

  1. Well, here I was thinking I was the only cook who did not own the Joy of Cooking cookbook. I have never made my own cheese, but would like to make my own ricotta next time I need some.

    @msdeniseh553
    Denise at My Life in Retirement Keukenhof Gardens

    ReplyDelete